When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. –Lao Tzu
Mei Zen, meaning “Beautiful Person,” for Weight Loss and Infertility is an acupuncture protocol developed by Dr. Martha Lucas, of Denver, CO. This is a three month program meant to support your body in regulating itself hormonally and metabolically for conception, weight loss, and a number of related concerns.
Tell me the basics.
- This program lasts three months: you’ll come in for treatments twice a week for six weeks, then once a week for six weeks
- It costs $1,800 (which comes to $100 per treatment, payable weekly, monthly, or all up front)
- All participants receive 10% off herbal formulas and mushroom extracts to encourage better health, faster. Formulas typically cost around $20 per bottle, although if you need a customized formula, it can run up to around $80, depending on what’s in your formula.
What’s entailed in this program?
This is a three month program consisting of two treatments every week for six weeks and then one treatment every week for six weeks. Because of the time and financial commitment, I ask everyone interested to come in for a free 20-minute consultation first so that we can talk about your goals and see if you are a good fit for the program, and I also require everyone to come in for a regular general health treatment before starting the program. The reasons for this are several-fold:
- This protocol can be intense for some people, so it’s important to do a gentler treatment for first-timers before diving in
- I do not offer refunds for pre-paid treatments if you decide you want to stop the program, so coming in twice (once for the consultation, once for the general health treatment) gives you time to consider before committing
- It gives us time to get to know each other to see if I can offer you the kind of support you’re looking for in your lifestyle changes
Why would I choose this program over regular acupuncture treatments with you?
The Mei Zen program is designed for people who are committing themselves to a change in lifestyle for weight loss or to conceive a child. This isn’t designed to be a quick solution (although some people do find fast results), this is designed to be a permanent solution.
With weight loss participants, we’ll set goals, decide on nutritional changes based on your Oriental Medicine diagnosis, decide on an exercise and/or Qi cultivation routine if you don’t already have one, and keep a journal of your progress. With fertility participants, we’ll also discuss nutrition changes to support a healthy fetal environment and we’ll talk about other lifestyle routine changes you can make for both you and your partner to build healthy Qi and Blood to not only make conception possible, but to improve the health of the fetus and reduce the risks of miscarriage. If at all possible, I ask that both partners come to the initial consultation for fertility treatments.
In short, this is an active program for people who are already changing their lifestyles but are finding they need some extra help, or who are about to start a major lifestyle change and are looking for support and guidance. If you are unsure about your level of commitment (for any reason: time, will, money, etc.), then it’s best to start with regular health treatments and we’ll assess together what the best treatment course is for your particular situation. The Mei Zen protocol is not the only acupuncture treatment that will work for weight loss and infertility, but it has produced the best and most consistent results.
What changes can I expect throughout the program? How fast?
Everyone is different and has different goals, but the overwhelming feedback so far from weight loss participants is that cravings started diminishing after the first treatment. Many are also reporting that they have better energy and better outlook in general, giving them motivation for exercise and other changes. Many people plateau at some point in the program because with so many consistent changes, the body has to reset what it’s used to, so it may shut down fat-burning processes for a bit before restarting.
Whether for weight loss or infertility, you can expect an increase in energy, stabilizing moods, better digestion, less painful menstrual cycles if you are a menstruating woman, and a whole host of other things. Everything in the body is related to everything else, and since this program focuses on regulating basic functions, you would be amazed how many other seemingly unrelated symptoms start disappearing.